Back to News
Cervical screening Appointmnets
Posted on 11 May 2020
Good news! We are now able to book all cervical screening appointments for our patients that are due or over due their test.
Try not to put off cervical screening, It`s one of the best ways to protect yourself from cervical cancer.
- Cervical screening (a smear test) checks the health of your cervix. The cervix is the opening to your womb from your vagina.
- It's not a test for cancer, it's a test to help prevent cancer.
- All women and people with a cervix aged 25 to 64 should be invited by letter.
- During the screening appointment, a small sample of cells will be taken from your cervix.
- The sample is checked for certain types of human papillomavirus (HPV) that can cause changes to the cells of your cervix. These are called "high risk" types of HPV.
- If these types of HPV are not found, you do not need any further tests.
- If these types of HPV are found, the sample is then checked for any changes in the cells of your cervix. These can then be treated before they get a chance to turn into cervical cancer.
- You'll get your results by letter, usually in about 2 weeks. It will explain what happens next.